Our bandwidth is precious as we spend money on it. Sometimes we need to know how much of our data plan have been used, to know the upload and download speed etc. If you are looking for ways to monitor your network bandwidth and usage, this Windows gadget app could be very useful.
Network Meter Version 9.6: Network Meter is an advanced network desktop gadget for Windows. It shows your SSID (Service Set Identifier), signal strength, internal and external IP addresses, blacklisted IP ratio, IP lookup with Google Maps, Internet speed (upload and download), firewall check, remaining data (quota, usage, and day), total data usage, and whether your connection is secure. It also includes flyout features that display all of your network information.
To use this nice piece of software on your computer:
- Download the zipped or exe version of Network Meter from http://addgadgets.com/network_meter/
- Right-click on the file downloaded and click "Open"
- The gadgets will be installed and displayed on the desktop just like any Windows gadget app.
- Right-click any where on the desktop > click "Gadgets"
- The Windows gadgets window opens
- Right-click on the app you want to display > click add
View Data usage chart:
- Click the Network Meter graph from the gadget on your desktop
- If you are not able to open the data usage chart, open this file at "C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\Network_Meter_V9.6.gadget\linechart.html" using internet explorer.
- SSID (Service Set Identifier), , Internal IP address, External IP address
Blacklisted IP ratio, Speed test, IP address log, Firewall check, IP Lookup with Google maps
- Graph (Show / Hide) > Line/ Filled
- Upload speed / Download speed
- Total of usage
- Reset Current usage/ Reset Total usage
- Signal strength of the wireless network connection
- Checking connection is secure or not secure
- Sound alert when lost/restore of connection
- and more.
To start off with you can monitor basic network details such as your upload/download bandwidth, current download and total downloads etc. For more advanced usage, explore the settings as explained above.