So, Drupal was throwing the familiar notice on the site when I logged in this time, that there are updates available and that I should update the core and some modules.
Where to check what updates are available?To check the available updates for Drupal and it's modules, login using the admin account and go to "reports > Available Updates".
The updates available for Drupal core and modules will be displayed here. A link is also displayed from where the latest version can be downloaded.
How to update Drupal Core?The following steps were followed to successfully update Drupal core:
- Make a backup of your Drupal database instance.
- Download the latest release of your current Drupal version.
- Extract the [tar ball or zip] Drupal package.
Then extracted the drupal core zip package. The result is drupal x.x.x folder.
- Set the site on maintenance mode
To set Drupal Site in Maintenance mode, go to "Configuration" > "Site Maintenance". Check "Put site into maintenance mode".
- Delete all the files & folders inside your original Drupal instance except for /sites and its sub-folders. Backup any files and folders where customizations were done.
- Copy the new Drupal core files and folders and put in the original Drupal directory
Replace any customized files and folders if any. If you have modified files such as .htaccess, favicon or robots.txt re-apply those changes to the new files.
- Login to site as administrator or as user no 1
- Run update.php by navigating to http://yoursite/update.php
- Disabled maintenance mode