I am sure many of such users, may have tried "GO SMS PRO" and similar apps. But don't we get tired of the ads, and "buy this" and buy that" messages on these apps. We like free stuffs, but we don't like ads either. (LOL :D). So try Google Messenger app as a replacement for your default SMS app. The app sleek, stylish and user friendly. You will be glad Google made Messenger instead of pushing you to use Hangouts!
Messenger from Google is an app to send and receive SMS and MMS
messages to any phone. You can also send group texts as well as your favorite pictures, videos and even audio messages to your contacts.
Messenger is supported on devices running Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean, and above.
• Faster sharing: Select or take pictures and videos directly from the app and share easily. You can even send audio messages to your contacts.
• Easy search: Search through contacts and conversation threads to find exactly what you are looking for.
• Purposeful design: New, fluid, material design that is intuitive and delightful.
• More control: Ability to block SMS senders. No interruptions when you don’t want them!
• More features: audio messages, emoji support 😃, colored text threads, message archiving and more.
[source: Google Play]
Some features that would make Google Messenger better:
- Select multiple SMS to delete. For now it clears the entire conversation or delete one by one.
- Mute the default SMS app from Messenger. Once installed, if there is a setting to mute notifications on the default SMS app it would be great. If you don't disable notifications manually on your default SMS app, you will be getting notification from both apps. You can manually disable notifications from the default app's settings.
Download Google Messenger from Google Play.