So who blacklists?
Major security companies like McAfee, ESET, Norton, Google etc.
How to check if website is blacklisted?
Go to: http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/ and enter your website domain (www.example.com).
There are also other web security scanners on-line. You can check there as well if required. Blacklist Alert is also one such site.
A sample of the scan results on Sucuri were:
Blacklist status: //domain name replaced in this example
web site: www.yoursite.com
status: Site blacklisted, malware not identified
web trust: Site blacklisted.
warn: Unable to properly scan your site. Site Empty (no content)
Also check the blacklist status tab, where it will be displayed who blacklisted your website.
Domain blacklisted by SiteAdvisor (McAfee): yoursite.com - reference
Domain clean by Google Safe Browsing: yoursite.com - reference
Domain clean by Norton Safe Web: yoursite.com - reference
Domain clean on Phish tank: yoursite.com - reference
Domain clean on the Opera browser: yoursite.com - reference
Domain clean by the Sucuri Malware Labs blacklist: yoursite.com - reference
Domain clean on Yandex (via Sophos): yoursite.com - reference
Domain clean by ESET: yoursite.com - reference
In this case, it was McAfee SiteAdvisor. In some cases such reports can be false-positive. Then, one would need to request for a review.
In this case (and this happened), the review was posted but I did not get response for long. So I went to McAfee Community (https://community.mcafee.com) and posted there about the problem. I received a response from moderators to follow a process as stated below, and I quote:
- Browse to www.trustedsource.org/en/feedback/url
- Recommended for website owners or anyone else who wants to be updated on the request status: Create an Account and then Login
- Click on “Check Single URL” (since most re-evaluation requests would be for a single URL)
- Select the Product you are using – in our case choose “McAfee SiteAdvisor”
- Type in the URL you want to check
- Click “Check URL”
- Optional: Choose up to 3 categories from the drop-down “Optional categorization suggestion:”
- Optional: Leave an “Optional comment”
- Click “Submit URL for Review”
- If you created an Account (and logged in with it), a Ticket ID will be displayed, along with 3 options on when you will receive email (when the ticket is Open, Reviewed, or Closed)
As I said, some cases could be false-positive. This was an empty site with no content.
The latest response I got from the McAfee community is as below, where it has been stated that there is no reason why the site should be RED.
BLACKLIST STATUS CHANGE: GREEN (CLEAN)
This is in continuation to the post above.
After days of communicating with McAfee Security folks and by creating a ticket, the site is now clean. I just scanned the site on : http://sitecheck2.sucuri.net and glad to find it GREEN.
So in a nutshell, the steps taken were:
- Get your website scanned
- Find who blacklisted your website
- Contact the respective company
I am just glad this is solved. If you are in the same problem, you know what to do.