To get the file names of all files in folder or file names of just a select few types, do the following.
Here is a demo video:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where the files are.
- Hold Left-Shift and right-click. Select "Open Command Prompt Here"
- A Command Prompt Window will appear and the path set to that directory.
- Type the following command, to print all the file names to a new file called "list.txt"
dir /w > list.txt
- To print only the file names of PDF documents in the folder, type
dir *.pdf /w >pdflist.txt
- You can apply other document extensions to filter as per the type of documents required. For example to get the list of all Microsoft Office Documents in the folder, type the command:
dir *.doc /w >documentslist.txt