To those using Mi phones, you might as well be using Mi PC Suite to manage your phone from a computer. But lately, Mi PC Suite doesn't seems to be working for most of us. There are a lot of threads in the Mi Forums as well. When attempting to connect Mi Phones to computer using USB, the usual messages we see after connection Mi Phones to computer via USB are:1) Device not detected
2) You need to update your device to use Mi PC Suite
3) Can't connect to your device.
- Computer OS: Windows 10, Windows 7 (both 64 bit)
- Mi PC Suite Version: 2.2.07032 (latest available on the Mi Website Updated 03.07.2015) and 188.8.131.5211 (updated after installing 2.2.07032 from Mi PC Suite itself)
(The puzzle starts here why the version is lower on the website and can be updated to 3.2.1)
- Phone One: Redmi Note 3 - MIUI Version: Stable 184.108.40.206 (MHOMIDI)
- Phone Two: Redmi 2 Prime - MIUI Version: Stable 220.127.116.11 (LHJMIDI)
1) Enabled USB debugging
How to enable Developer Options and USB debugging on Mi Phones?
- Go to Settings / Settings> About Phone / About Phone> tap MIUI Version seven times.
- And now Developer Options is enabled or active.
- Go back to settings
- Under System & Device, tap on "Additional Settings"
- Find "Developer Options"
- Enable Developer Options if not already enabled
- Scroll and find "USB Debugging" and enable it
2) USB Connections mode tried: MTP (transfer files) and PTP (transfer photos)
Even after enabling USB debugging and trying both USB connection options (MTP & PTP), both the Mi phones listed above are not able to connect to the Mi PC Suite.
Some weird messages when connecting to Mi PC Suite via USB:
When Redmi 2 Prime (MIUI Version: Stable 18.104.22.168 (LHJMIDI) ) was connected to the Mi PC Suite (version 2.2.07032), the Redmi 2 Phone was detected.
But ironically, when any of the menu options such as File Explorer, Apps, Gallery etc. were clicked, the message "The version of MIUI you're using is too old".
When checking for system updates, there are no new updates. The MIUI version is already up-to-date!
On the Redmi Note 3, the phone is not detected and the following message is displayed - You need to update your device to use Mi PC Suite".
If you are facing similar issues as described above, I guess you can continue to use computer's File Explorer (Windows Explorer on Windows) to manage files.
Please note that there are issues with Mi PC Suite and Mi has still not provided a working PC Suite as on the date of posting this article (4 Jan 2017) as confirmed from one of Mi Forum Thread below. They are still working on it!
If you were able to solve the Mi PC Suite USB connections issue, kindly let us know in the comments below. Share the knowledge!