If you had taken Blogger backup from Google Takeout , you would have realized that the format for each of your blog is an ATOM file. WordPress does not have import tools to import Atom files directly. Although an ATOM file is in XML, so also an RSS file, it will not be imported correctly.
Here is my personal experience in converting Blogger Atom to RSS and successfully importing it to WordPress. This example is on Windows OS.
- Download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (Microsoft XML Core Services) from Microsoft website here.
- Download Command Line Transformation Utility (msxsl.exe) from Microsoft website here.
- Download Atom2RSS.XSL from here
- Save all the files above files in the same directory where you have the Blogger backup atom file.
- Open Windows Command Prompt
- Press Windows Key on the Keyboard and type 'cmd" and hit enter.
Navigate to the folder where you have saved the files.
When you first start Command Prompt, you are in c:\Users\your username.
Say the files are in F: drive. So press F: <enter> to go to change directory.
Then type "cd foldername" and hit enter. Keep doing that till you reach the folder where you have the files. Remember the files you downloaded from Microsoft website above should be in the same directory as the Blogger backup files.
- Once you are there, execute the following command in the Command Prompt window.
F:\GoogleTakeout\Blogger>msxsl.exe -o newbackup1.rss smude.atom atom2rss.xsl
A new RSS file is generated from the atom file which you can import to WordPress site.
How to import the converted RSS files to WordPress:
- Open your WordPress and login to dashboard.
- Go to Tools > Import > RSS
If the plugin is not yet installed, install and activate it.
- Upload the new RSS file and import.
The Blogger backup is correctly imported to the WordPress site.