The easiest way to run PHP or PHP-based CMS such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and many others CMS on Windows is to install the XAMPP package. The XAMPP package comes with Apache Web Server, MySQL database and PHP. XAMPP is installed by default at "C:/XAMPP" and the website files are hosted under "C:\xampp\htdocs\" directory.
- Download XAMPP for Windows from here: Download XAMPP for Windows
- Click on the XAMPP setup file and follow instructions to install XAMPP. The default XAMPP install location is “c:/xampp”.
- After XAMPP is installed on Windows, XAMPP Control Panel shortcut should be on the desktop. If not, navigate to “Start > All Programs > XAMPP > XAMPP Control Panel”.
- Open XAMPP control panel.
- Start APACHE and MySQL: click on Apache and MySQL start buttons.
- Open up a browser and type in “localhost”. Apache page should show saying “Congratulations: You have successfully installed XAMPP on this system!”
In case you have IIS running on the same machine as the XAMPP, then there will be a port 80 conflict. So, when you attempt to open http://localhost you will see an error page that says:
“HTTP Error 404.0 – Not Found
The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.“
If you just installed XAMPP on a computer already running IIS, see here how to resolve Apache localhost port number issue and run both IIS and XAMPP on the same machine.
If everything is alright till step 6 above, you should be able to see the Apache localhost page.
- Click on the “Security” link on the left hand side menu on the Apache page.
- If you would like to change the default MySql root password, do it here. The default MySQL SuperUser is “root”. You may change the default password which is “root”.
- From the Apache page, click on the phpMyAdmin link at the bottom left hand side of the page.
- Login with the MySql username and password.
Your XAMPP is up and running. Now you can install PHP-based CMS such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla etc.
See here how to install WordPress on XAMPP?